Thursday, July 7, 2011

Making the Most of a Small Balcony



Just like hipsters and PBR, small living spaces and small outdoor spaces go hand in hand. Dumping the house in the suburbs with a generous back yard for an urban apartment has turned out to be the best move I could have made, but I canʼt lie: I miss the back yard more than a little bit.

But having a balcony thatʼs short on space doesnʼt mean it has to be short on style. It just might take a little bit of creativity. I already have a pair of Adirondack chairs that fit nicely, so now I just need to accessorize.

Starting at the top, some solar-powered hanging lanterns that collect light all day and shine all night will provide some much-needed ambiance and visual interest. Since there's no room for planters, I'm going to try one that attaches to the balcony rail. Including a smaller barbecue, in light green, and one or two or three colorful modern birdhouses will tie it all together.

The chairs I have are pretty weathered but they look rustic, which is a nice juxtaposition against some of the more aggressively modern elements. The ratty cushions will have to go, though, and be replaced with this nice green and yellow set with flowers on one side and stripes on the other. Built-in versatility is great in my book, because I tend to get tired of patterns.

Voila! A comfortable but compelling space to spend our summer evenings and lazy Sunday afternoons is an urban oasis anyone would love to come home to.

Solar Lanterns
Egg Bird Houses
Rail Planters
Chair Cushions *

*I don't generally endorse shopping at Wal-Mart but I looked high and low before finding this pattern that I liked, as opposed to others that I could just tolerate. Apparently my values have gone on summer vacation!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love hearing from you!